a blog that sparks interest, dazzles and amazes

Monday, December 27, 2010

Pepper LaBeija, Dorian Corey, Venus Xtravaganza are people I wish I had the pleasure of knowing.

Pepper LaBeija, Dorian Corey, Venus Xtravaganza are people I wish I had the pleasure of knowing. They are all stars in the 1990 documentary Paris is Burning.

The drag world is something I have been in the midst of for almost 10 years. I have seen shows that I thought were interesting and or funny. But I never got it. Without spilling my guts for pages and pages...I'll say this: This film reminded me how lucky I am to have seen drag culture firsthand and to appreciate it for what it is. We are ALL in drag or costume on a daily basis. Some outfit/look that makes us fit in with a group or society.... most of us just don't do it up like Pepper LaBeija! This movie was strangely full of wisdom and wit and I highly recommend it! It gives you a look into late 80's New York Ball scene. A CULTURAL GEM! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment